Here is some crucial information for taking the census:
Key 2020 Census Dates:
Here’s the overall California timeline:
- Between March 12 and 20, you should receive invitations in the mail detailing how to fill out the census questionnaire online.
- Over the following few weeks, you should receive a letter and postcard reminding you to take the census.
- April 1 is Census Day, when everyone should have received an invitation to participate. This is also a key reference date as when you fill out the census, you will include everyone living in your home on April 1, 2020.
- A hard copy of the census, along with another reminder, will be mailed between April 8 and 16.
- Final reminder postcards will be mailed from April 20 through April 27.
- In August, Census takers will begin to conduct in-person follow-ups for those who haven’t responded. (Subject to change depending on COVID-19.)
- Be sure to fill out your census form before Sept. 30, 2020!
For the first time, you have three ways to complete the 2020 census from home:
- Online: You can use your phone, tablet, or computer to respond online. You should receive a census ID in the mail to log in. Even if you don’t, you can still access the questionnaire: There should be a link under the login button that says, “If you do not have a census ID, click here.” Read more about the online version, including languages and how to access it, here.
- Via phone: You can call in to take the census by phone daily from 7 a.m. to 2 a.m. Eastern. Read more about phone options here. There are different phone lines for the following languages:
- English: 844-330-2020
- Spanish: 844-468-2020
- Chinese (Mandarin): 844-391-2020
- Chinese (Cantonese): 844-398-2020
- Vietnamese: 844-461-2020
- Korean: 844-392-2020
- Russian: 844-417-2020
- Arabic: 844-416-2020
- Tagalog: 844-478-2020
- Polish: 844-479-2020
- French: 844-494-2020
- Haitian Creole: 844-477-2020
- Portuguese: 844-474-2020
- Japanese: 844-460-2020
- English (for Puerto Rico residents): 844-418-2020
- Spanish (for Puerto Rico residents): 844-426-2020
- TDD (Telephone Display Device): 844-467-2020
- By mail: Every home should receive a paper questionnaire, if they haven’t responded online or by phone. You must fill out the paper version using blue or black ink. You can mail the questionnaire back to: U.S. Census Bureau, National Processing Center, 1201 E 10th Street, Jeffersonville, IN 47132. Find more info about mailing your questionnaire in here.